DIGITAL AGENCY D3 SHORTLISTED IN 5 CATEGORIES AT UK SEARCH AWARDS 2021
Whilst none of us could’ve predicted what the next 2 years would bring (global pandemic anyone!) – D3 has grown from strength to strength, and we were delighted to be shortlisted in 5 (!) categories at the UK Search Awards 2021. The event was a fantastic opportunity to meet talented teams and individuals from across the sector, as well as for the D3 team to enjoy their first team night out together.
What categories were we shortlisted in?
D3 was created in September 2019, which means (in relative terms!) we’re an agency very much in our infancy. However, during this time, we’ve worked on several exciting campaigns with clients including Confused.com, BSM, TC Consult and Corset Story. The UK Search Awards felt like an unmissable chance for us to have our work recognised on a UK wide scale amongst some of the very best digital agencies.
We chose to enter 5 different categories, with our submissions focussing on our work with client Traveline Cymru. In February 2021, Traveline Cymru came to us wanting to promote their new ‘myhealthjourney’ website, which provides public transport information for hospitals and medical settings across Wales.
Set against the backdrop of essential travel restrictions due to the Coronavirus pandemic, a small budget and tight time frame, we carefully selected audiences for this PPC and Social campaign across Google, YouTube and Facebook to maximise reach and relevance. With over 1 million impressions and nearly 12,000 clicks, we were thrilled with what we were able to achieve in such a short space of time, making this the perfect showcase for our award submissions.
In early November, we were over the moon to discover we had been shortlisted in the following 5 categories:
- Best Small Agency: D3 is a small organisation, with Managing Director and award-winning PPC specialist Kate Horsington at the helm. Whilst many agencies running as a multi-team operation, the success of D3 over the last 2 years is testament to Kate’s hard work and ambition to deliver the very best for her clients. This certainly rang true on the case of Traveline Cymru’s ‘myhealthjourney’ campaign, which Kate expertly delivered while continuing to provide a high-quality service for D3’s other clients.
- Best Use of Search (Travel/Leisure) (PPC): Following the success of the ‘myhealthjourney’ campaign, entering this award category was a no-brainer. The campaign was designed to increase brand awareness and help those making essential journeys access the information they needed. The campaign was also underpinned by messages of considering the environmental benefits of using more sustainable transport modes, which influenced our use of keywords and topic targeting.
- Best Use of Search (Health): We felt our ‘myhealthjourney’ campaign would stand out from the crowd in this category. The aim of the campaign was to help thousands of healthcare workers and their patients across Wales reach their healthcare appointments, on time and as safely as possible, which we achieved. The service itself was also created with the support of health boards across Wales, meaning it was designed with the needs of its diverse userbase in mind.
- Best Use of Search (Third Sector/Non for Profit): Traveline Cymru is a non-for-profit organisation that provides free public transport information. It was important to us that the campaign was delivered in accordance to their brand identity, which included being bilingual. With its Welsh language component, Facebook was an important part of our campaign strategy.
- Best Small Budget Campaign: With the client being non-for-profit, as well as constraints due to the Coronavirus pandemic, this was a low-budget campaign with ambitious targets. We made sure the campaign told a story through bespoke illustrated imagery that was clear and consistent, used careful audience targeting, relevant messaging and calls-to-action to maximise the campaign’s reach and increase brand awareness.
How did the Awards event go?
The awards took place on 16th November at the Park Plaza Hotel, Westminster Bridge. Representing D3 was Managing Director Kate Horsington, Luke Maggs, and Ellie Jerman. This was the first time we had all been able to meet face-to-face (with all work on this campaign having taken place remotely) so there was even more reason to celebrate. We met up ahead of the event and headed to the drink’s reception, dressed to impress!
Once all the guests were seated in the hotel’s ballroom, comedian Rob Becket kicked off the evening’s proceedings and introduced event organisers We Are Search. We then tucked into a delicious 3 course meal and got to know our table neighbours and fellow nominees Loud Mouth Media. After a long 18 months of not networking face-to-face, it was wonderful to network with so many talented creatives.
With our drinks at the ready, the awards section of the evening began. There were 52 category winners to be announced and it was wonderful to witness so many talented agencies from across the UK be recognised for all their hard work.
Whilst we didn’t win any awards this year, we were delighted to have been shortlisted in 5 categories, an accolade which is almost unheard of for an agency so early in its development. For both D3 and Traveline Cymru, this was also the first time either had submitted an entry for the UK Search Awards. This was a great opportunity to learn the ropes and see how we can make our submissions for next year’s awards even stronger.
Being shortlisted is testament to all of Kate’s hard work, but also the work of the entire Welsh transport industry to keep public transport services running for key workers and those making essential medical journeys during the pandemic. We can’t wait to see what opportunities the next year brings and (hopefully!) come back fighting at the UK Search Awards 2022.
D3 (Data Driven Decisions) was created in September 2019 by Kate Horsington.